A button-up shirt is an important part of any business woman’s wardrobe. They were made to look professional yet chic under a blazer with dress pants, or when tucked into a slim A-line skirt. While there’s no doubting that these shirts are perfect for the office (when you get to that point in life), there’s also no doubting that they look just as perfect in a more casual environment.
In other words: don’t think of a button-up shirt as something you can only wear when you’re an adult with a full-time job! Button-up shirts can be dressed down and look so good with jeans. They actually look good with a lot of things – in fact, I would argue that these are a staple everyone should have in their closet. Want to know how to wear yours so you look less like you’re mom and more like the awesome chick that you are?
Here are style tips on how to wear button-down shirts:
1. Leave your shirt untucked, pair it with skinny jeans, and slip on some flats. It’s a comfy outfit that still looks super put-together.
2. Tuck your button-up shirt into a maxi skirt, then cinch the waist with a belt.
3. Go for the ultimate preppy look, and wear your button-up under a sweater, letting the collar, sleeves, and bottom peak out.
4. Keep a loose button-up and boyfriend jeans looking feminine with lots of jewelry and some heels.
5. Wear a long button-up over a skirt, but tie it in front like so to keep it from looking too baggy. Add tights, booties, a scarf, and a cardigan to stay cozy.
6. Keep it casual by wearing a long button-up with leggings and adding sneakers.
7. Wear your button-up the classic way with a blazer, but pair it with jeans to keep things more casual and low-key.
8. In the spring and summer, tuck it into a skater skirt for an easy, effortlessly glam outfit.
9. A button-down looks great with cuffed skinny jeans and heels. So chic!